Senior Manager - Tax
Aaron is from a small town in Northern British Columbia. He relocated to Nanaimo in July 2016 after working in Vancouver for a number of small to mid-sized accounting practices for 15 years.
Aaron has directly worked in tax since 2005. His primary focus has been income tax planning for various owner-managed companies, including advising on corporate structures and introducing family trusts. Aaron has also provided services with respect to Canadian income tax compliance for individuals, trusts, partnerships and corporations and US tax compliance for individuals.
Aaron focuses on estate planning and corporate reorganizations at Smythe and can assist with restructuring and compliance, including the following:
- Setting up of corporations, including the transfer proprietorship or other investment assets on a tax deferred basis;
- Using tax deferred estate freezes in respect of established corporations to:
- Introduce investment holding corporations to segregate investments from operating entities;
- Create income splitting strategies for families through direct share ownership or the use of family trusts;
- Transfer future wealth to children through direct ownership or through family trusts.
- Planning in respect of gaining or preserving tax efficiencies with regards to the acquisitions or sales of existing companies.
- Assisting with estate planning matters including:
- Income tax and probate tax reduction;
- Setting up family or alter ego (joint spousal) trusts; and
- Will planning in respect of setting up spousal or beneficiary trusts.
- Canadian income taxes for individuals, trusts and estates, partnerships and private corporations.
Outside of work, Aaron enjoys spending time with his kids playing sports, board games and hiking.